ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about my nail infection?

Question

What can I do about my nail infection?

Hi Can you give me some advice. I have a nail infection and I think the best course of action would be toe nail removal. But I'm petrified of needles. Is there another way around it? Can I be put under or are there other options as I'm so petrified? Please help I look forward to hearing from you.

Answer

Thanks for your question. It is quite common for people to have a fear of needles. In fact, that is one of the most common things that doctors deal with on a daily basis! There comes a point, however, where the fear of the needle is less than the pain that you are suffering from, and the nice thing is that the needle is quick! Additionally, there are things that can be done to reduce the pain of the needle, if you are overly concerned about it. In your situation, it sounds like you need to speak with your doctor more. Unfortunately, going to sleep for a nail infection is generally not the safest thing for a person to do. Also, before you can go to sleep you would have to have some needles placed to start IVs! Because of this, it is generally best to take care of your problem with someone that you respect and feel will take care of you well and in the best fashion. If something such as drainage or nail removal is required, most doctors can help you to have a relatively pain free experience, certainly better than what you are living through now. Please speak with your doctor.