Is it possible to grow taller after 18?

Hi! I am an 18 years old male, and I am about 5'10 (177cm). Is it possible to go at like 6'0 (183cm)? Do exercises such as sprinting and yoga actually help one grows taller? My parents are both around 5'5-5'7, but my late maternal grandfather was over 6'1.
It is a good idea to discuss your growth concerns with your primary care physician. Growth is multifactorial. It is a complex interactions of genes and hormones in addition to nutrition plus health. Puberty starts at different ages for different individuals and it is a process that takes a couple years. In general, males grow significantly to their adult height as their growth spurts hit during puberty, usually between 11 and 15 years. We have been genetically programmed to stop growing after the completion of puberty. This usually happens when most males will reach their last growth spurt in their late teens (at the average age of 18 years). A few of them may grow taller into their early 20s from leading well-balance lifestyles. As such, it is entirely possible that you could grow a few more inches from eating healthy and getting sufficient sleep and exercise daily. Some stretching exercises and a nutritious diet that includes vegetables, dairy, cereals, meat and plenty of water will help the natural process for enhancing height. Since you have concerns about your growth, I would recommend visiting a primary care physician to get more answers. Your doctor will look at your growth chart and x-ray of your hand and wrist to be able to estimate whether or not the bone has stopped lengthening and then advise you what to do next.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Noel Smith
    Dr. Noel Smith MD
    325 Broadway
    New York, NY 10007
  • Dr. Rundeep Gadh
    Dr. Rundeep Gadh DO
    21550 Biscayne Blvd
    Aventura, FL 33180