ZocdocAnswersMy anus is bleeding, what should I do?

Question

My anus is bleeding, what should I do?

My anus is bleeding even when I'm not making a bowl movement and its starting to hurt, like a sharp pain will come and go I don't know what to do

Answer

Although rectal bleeding is common, only about one-third of those affected seek treatment. I recommend that you seek medical attention as soon as possible. Symptoms usually develop quickly. Fortunately, most causes of bleeding are related to conditions that can be cured and not serious, such as hemorrhoids. Other common causes are anal fissures, diverticulitis, peptic ulcers, or inflammatory bowel diseases. Locating the source of bleeding is critical which can come from one of these areas- esophagus, stomach, small intestines, colon, rectum, and anus. In some cases, rectal bleeding is a symptom of a serious disease such as colon polyps or colorectal cancer- cancer of the colon or rectum. Polyps can be removed safely before they become cancerous. Colorectal cancer is a common form of cancer that can usually be cured if diagnosed and treated early enough. This is the primary reason rectal bleeding should not be ignored. Investigation of such bleeding with a colonoscopy and rectal examination performed by a gastroenterologist or colorectal surgeon to find out its underlying cause is most important, and is usually most intensive if you are over the age of approximately 40 to 50 years. Colon polyps and colorectal cancer become more common with aging. Your rectal bleeding sounds serious. You need to seek immediate medical attention since it is accompanied by severe abdominal or anal pain.