ZocdocAnswersHow do I know when I ovulated when i have my period every two weeks?

Question

How do I know when I ovulated when i have my period every two weeks?

Me and my finance are trying to have a baby and I'm not sure when I should test or when implantation occurs

Answer

Ovulation usually occurs midway through the menstrual cycle, or around week two of a four week cycle. In your case, it sounds like you are getting your period every two weeks, so your ovulation schedule will be different from that noted above. When trying to conceive, it is important to see your gynecologist to discuss these specific questions and ways to optimize your chances of successfully becoming pregnant. As you may know, timing of ovulation can be quite variable, especially if your menstrual cycle is not regular. Even if you do have regularly cyclical menstrual periods, the timing of egg release from the ovary (which is ovulation) can vary from cycle to cycle. As mentioned above, in a four week menstrual cycle, ovulation generally occurs approximately two weeks after the last menstrual period begins (or day 14.6 on average, to be exact), and the most fertile period is the few days before and after that time. In terms of recognizing when you are ovulating, there are signs that you can detect that may help you detect when you are ovulating. Body temperature increases slightly around the time of ovulation. You may also experience a slight pelvic pain, called Mittelschmerz phenomenon, during ovulation. Some women also can note changes to the mucous excreted by their cervix, and other women note a heightened sense of smell around the time of ovulation. Commonly, women feel an increase in sexual desire just prior to ovulation. However, there is no test that can 100% accurately detect that you have ovulated, and I would recommend making an appointment with your gynecologist to discuss this topic further.