ZocdocAnswersHow long should I wait to drink a beer after a Chlamydia treatment of Azithromycin?

Question

How long should I wait to drink a beer after a Chlamydia treatment of Azithromycin?

Azithromycin

Answer

There is really no specific time that you need to wait and the best person to answer your question is your primary care doctor. The treatment for chlamydia with Azithromycin is usually one gram in a single-dose. Generally speaking, it might be a good idea to avoid alcohol on that night just to make sure that you don't get sick and vomit up the medication. However, there is no specific reason to avoid a beer in the setting of taking one dose of this antibiotic. I would suggest however making sure that you use protection for sexual intercourse. It will be at least one day maybe more before you were no longer contagious with regards to the chlamydia. I would also suggest that you make sure that any sexual partners that you have are also treated. It won't do you any good to get treated for chlamydia if you're going to be reinfected by a partner that was not treated. I should also note that most patients that get treated for chlamydia with Azithromycin also simultaneously get treated for gonorrhea with a single dose of Ceftriaxone. This is because these two bugs often come together. Again, I would also suggest that you discuss some of these issues with your primary care doctor. He or she is a good resource for questions about practicing safe sex techniques and the side effects for any medications that might be prescribed to you.