Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is blood in stool bad?"

ZocdocAnswersIs blood in stool bad?


For the past year I’ve been pretty constipated when I go to the bathroom and hurts just about every time, like a ripping burning sensation. When I do go I have bright red anal bleeding and sometimes with dark red almost black clots. I have lost about 15lbs in the past 3 months and have a very poor diet. I was diagnosed as being borderline anemic when I was 15 but when I went to the doctor 4 months ago because I had a lot of bruises pop up all over my legs and I normally don’t bruise easily, he ran all kinds of tests on my blood and everything came back normal. I still get bruises on my legs. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, I’m 21 I should be perfectly healthy. I don’t want to go to the doctor with this if it’s nothing. It’s just so embarrassing to talk to any one about anal bleeding. I know it may be serious I’m just not ready to accept it yet, so please just give me advice and suggestions.


Your question is about a very common problem. Bleeding from the rectum can have several causes, which is why I recommend being evaluated by a doctor. The source of the blood can be from other areas of your gastrointestinal tract (stomach, intestines, colon), or it can be from your anal area. The location of the bleeding can provide information as to it's possible cause. Given your history of constipation, as well as the pain you feel when having a bowel movement, a problem with our anus is a possible cause. Problems that can cause the type of symptoms you are having include anal fissures, and hemorrhoids.These can be treated with ointments, as well as surgery. Your weight loss is also a concern. Given your weight loss, constipation, and age, you should be evaluated for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). The two types of IBD include Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis. Also, your bruising and bleeding could be related. Are you taking any medications that may cause you to bleed? I understand that you are embarrassed, but you should have these problems evaluated specifically because they can be related to more serious conditions. I would recommend that you see a gastroenterologist or a colorectal surgeon for further evaluation.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.