ZocdocAnswersIs a strange gurgling in chest after IV flush a bad thing?

Question

Is a strange gurgling in chest after IV flush a bad thing?

I had a tilt table test done yesterday and the nurses had a really hard time getting it in. After about 40 minutes they finally got it in. The only thing is, after the first push of flushing it, I felt a strange gurggling/bubbling in my chest. They told me it was nothing, but it was immediately after they did it. My heart rate sky rocketed and I was shaking, but eventually the heart rate went down. Today I feel awful. Is this something to seriously worry about?

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I am not exactly sure what it may be that has resulted in your current symptoms, but I would advise that you discuss your symptoms with either your primary care doctor or the doctor who completed your tilt table testing, as he or she will be more involved and able to answer this question. Any potential complications from an IV flush (a very simple and oft repeated activity) would be very rare and unusual, and so it is hard to think that they would result in your problem. Chronologically speaking, however, it is reasonable to be concerned given that you now do not feel so well. Please speak with your doctor about this question to make sure that you get the care that you need. If you are having chest pain, a racing heart, shortness of breath, diffuse sweating, or any other serious symptoms, please speak with your doctor immediately or go to the emergency room.