ZocdocAnswersI have a blister on my vagina, should I be worried?

Question

I have a blister on my vagina, should I be worried?

they often go and come back with time. i used anti-fungal cream but they do come back again when i leave using that cream. its been a year as i m suffering from this, i really don't have any kind of knowledge about this please tell me the procedure of the treatment

Answer

This is a great question. It is very important for you to make an appointment with your primary care doctor or gynecologist as soon as possible to have a full history and physical. Your doctor will do a pelvic exam and likely test you for STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) if you have ever been sexually active. Blisters that pop open into ulcers on your vagina is very suggestive of herpes, or HSV (herpes simplex virus). This is an STD that does not have a cure but the outbreaks can be treated with medicine. Herpes is often very painful. Another cause of painful blisters is another STD called chancroid. A cause of non-painful blisters is syphilis, which is another STD. Blisters can also be caused by friction from underwear or from different dermatological conditions. Be sure to tell your doctor if you experience blisters anywhere else on your body or if you have any other related symptoms. Again, it is very important to see your doctor right away to determine the cause of your symptoms and get appropriate treatment. This is especially important if there is any chance that it could be an STD as you need to be aware that you do not spread it to your sexual partners.