Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a nose-sleep problem, what should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a nose-sleep problem, what should I do?


I'm 35 years old and my problem is that every morning, I wake up with one nostril almost completely congested (most of the time it's mild, but sometimes it's completely blocked),and the other free. I'm getting a blocked nose when I go to lie down in bed at night. My nostril that is lower at the sleep, becomes blocked . When I lay on left, blocks the left side, when I lay on right side, blocks the right. Its never both nostrils. Always one. I feel like I haven't breathed properly, and therefore haven't slept properly. When I stand/sit up, it takes about 5-7 minutes to return to normal air flow through the nostril. Through the day my both nostrils are fine. I had 3 operations in my turbinates (Ultrasound,Radiofrequency, Diode laser) between 2011-2013. I have vasomotor rhinitis. Can you give me a solution please? Thank you.


Sorry to hear about your problem. The best thing to do is to speak with your doctor. Most of what you describe sounds like it is related to the normal nasal cycle. In this cycle, which happens in most people, the different sides of your nose will engorge with blood and alternate about every couple of hours. We are not sure exactly why this happens, but it can commonly lead to symptoms that you describe, namely, intermittent and changing nasal obstruction. Lying on one side or the other is often enough to make one side feel obstructed, in the same pattern that you are describing. In other words, you are describing a somewhat common phenomena, and we need to help you be able to tolerate the symptoms. Vasomotor rhinitis is usually effectively treated with a number of medications. Some of the best are the nasal steroids and nasal anti-histamines. Your doctor may be able to make a recommendation, and an ear nose and throat surgeon (aka ENT or otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon) may be in the best position to help you with your complaint. Please speak with your doctor about your problems, and determine if there are other medical or surgical options available to help you feel better.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.