ZocdocAnswersI have had an issue of irregular periods. What do these results mean?

Question

I have had an issue of irregular periods. What do these results mean?

I have had an issue of irregular periods and I was told to take a hormonal assay.just got the hormonal assay result LH 36ng/ml (5-30ng/ml) FSH 19mg/ml (5-20mg/ml) PROLACTIN 5 (F:2-30,M:2-18) PROGESTERONE 1ng/ml (4-25ng/ml) TESTOSTERONE 5 (F:0.2-0.8,M:3-10) OESTRADIOL 224pg/ml (30-350pg/ml) the values in brackets are said to be the normal values according to the result.the test was conducted on Day 21 of my cycle. please what does this mean.

Answer

Irregular cycles are a very common problem and I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. The results that you show here do not lead to an obvious diagnosis as to why you are having irregular periods. However, I would say that the most likely possibility is polycystic ovarian syndrome. This syndrome, also known as PCOS, is a syndrome that causes excess androgens to be screened which results in irregular cycles secondary to the lack of ovulation. It can also result in diabetes, weight gain, high blood pressure, and abnormal facial hair growth called hirsutism. The fact that your testosterone levels are higher than normal suggest this. In addition, your progesterone level is low another sign that this could be PCOS. On the other hand, if you are in your late 40s, your irregular periods could be a sign of early menopause. It is difficult to tell. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. The two of you need to discuss these results and, more importantly the symptoms you are having in addition to your irregular periods. I would be quite interested to know if you are dealing with any of the other issues that are common in PCOS such as weight gain and hirsutismo. Good luck.