Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I hit my upper lip - what can I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI hit my upper lip - what can I do?


I dived into the pool my upper lip hit the bottom and I two lacerations one on the outside a scrape and the inside is a huge gash which was caused by my teeth and my teeth hurt


You should see a doctor. Obviously, this is the sort of thing that may need medical attention and may need to have sutures. For the most part, lacerations on the inside of the mouth do heal quite well and have a low rate of infection, but there are cases where sutures are needed to help the wound close in the most favorable fashion. This is important not just for the cosmetic but also for the functional outcome of some wounds, and yours sounds like it may be large enough to warrant this sort of care. Your doctor will also be able to evaluate your wounds and at least perform a cursory evaluation of your teeth to see if you need to speak with a dentist about the tooth pain that your are having. There are some cases where intervention may be needed to help with your teeth as well as with the cuts and bruises that you are suffering from. In addition to all of this, many of the injuries that you describe can be associated with other injuries such as to your spine, and so a full evaluation is necessary. Please speak with your doctor soon about your injuries.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.