Will this diet plan work?

For a long time i have been depressed and it effected my eating habits, i would only eat about 1200 calories a day, and drink nothing but water, i also exercised alot. I lost alot of weight, but now i want to eat more(but not gain so much weight), i heard that my metabolism should be low right now cause of this, meaning if i eat a regular calorie intake i will gain alot of weight back. If i slowly add more calories to my diet over time, until i reach regular level, will i avoid gaining so much weight?
That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a dietician who can monitor you as you increase your calorie intake and help you with any body image issues and weight gain issues. I think that the more important question is why you were eating so few calories and exercising so much, and whether the depression that was causing all this has resolved or if this is still not completely treated. If it has not been addressed by a medical provider, such as a psychiatrist, this is the first thing that you should do because body image issues generally don't go away on their own and it may be that if you start eating more and notice any weight gain it may trigger the same type of unhealthy eating habits to occur again and you will be back in a vicious cycle. Before you begin any change in your diet, it is advisable that you are evaluated for this depression and started on medication if you have not already been on this, because this is the first step you must perform before any changes in your diet will be able to stick. For this reason, see a psychiatrist or primary doctor as soon as possible and consider a dietician as well.

• Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091
  • Dr. Alex Bernstein
    Dr. Alex Bernstein MD
    3039 Ocean Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11235