ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have pain in my ovaries?

Question

Why do I have pain in my ovaries?

I have throbbing pain on my left ovary, also after I use the bathroom I wipe myself and I have mucus like discharge..

Answer

You have pain in your left ovary. You also have discharge. Pain in this region is a common complaint among women. I recommend that you make an appointment with your ob/gyn doctor. These could be from your menstrual periods. It is possible that there are cysts on the ovary that grows with each menstrual period. Cysts could also burst which could cause an inflammatory reaction, which can cause pain. It is also possible that there are endometrial tissue growing outside of the uterus, also known as endometriosis, which can cause pelvic pain. An ovary can also twist upon itself, which is called ovarian torsion, which can cause pain. If you are sexually active, you could also have an ectopic pregnancy which is a pregnancy outside of the uterus. It could also be pelvic inflammatory disease if you are sexually active and have history of a sexually transmitted disease. If you are sexually active, you should be tested regularly to rule out any sexually transmitted diseases. You should make an appointment with your ob/gyn doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. They can perform a pelvic exam and also use an ultrasound machine to look in the area to see if any of the things mentioned above could be the culprit. If you have any worsening pelvic pain, you should go to your local emergency room.