ZocdocAnswersHow long after taking Tramadol can I take Hydrocodone?

Question

How long after taking Tramadol can I take Hydrocodone?

I have tramadol for knee pain and hydrcodone for a dental surgey. Its been about 7 hours since the last tramadol dose I want to be safe as the the pain is getting unbearable

Answer

I think the safest thing for you to do is to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician so you can discuss a better plan for your pain control. Both tramadol and hydrocodone are narcotic pain medications that are used for moderate to severe pain. In most cases, it is not recommended that you take two different types of narcotic pain medications. I think that if you're to doctors, the one that treating your knee pain and your dentist got together they would have come up with a plan for your pain that involved both problems. This plan almost certainly would have also resulted in one medication being prescribed rather than two. The reason for this is that tramadol and hydrocodone last different amounts of time and it is hard to keep track of when you should take the next dose. In general, tramadol is considered to be a longer acting medication. We generally do not prescribe tramadol more than three times per day. Hydrocodone on the other hand tends to last a little bit less time around 4-6 hours. Thus, if it is been seven hours since your last tramadol dose most likely that medication is out of your system and it would be time for you to take another. Again, I think the safest thing for you to do is to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician so you can discuss a better plan for your pain control. This plan should result in the use of one narcotic pain medication for a short time and not 2.