My knuckles, wrist, and elbow hurt. What should I do?

its bearable but uncomfertable legs and ankles as well. the pain will be there for couple hours. no swelling or fever. i'm an 18 year old woman. my elbow wrist and ankles hurt more often (just started a year ago). legs started hurting around 6yrs-now but now leg pain is 2-5 times a year now.
The way that I would describe your set of symptoms is that you have polyarticular arthralgias. This basically just means that you have multiple joints that hurt you. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Whenever someone presents to a physician with these symptoms, there is a certain standard workup that should be done to find out the cause. If somebody comes in with pain in their knuckles and wrists, then certainly rheumatoid arthritis should be looked into. This should start with plain x-rays of your hands and wrists to look for any signs of joint disease such as erosions and joint space narrowing. In addition, you should have a set of blood tests that look for signs of inflammation and also certain markers of rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory joint diseases. If none of these signs are present, then sometimes a physician will perform tests for certain infections such as Lyme disease depending on where you live and where you travel. If these tests are all negative, then most likely you have a nonspecific pain syndrome which is extremely common. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will be will to carry out a workup similar to what I have mentioned above and hopefully figure out why you are having this pain.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Andrew Kirschner
    Dr. Andrew Kirschner DO
    1 Belmont Avenue
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130