ZocdocAnswersDo I need antibiotics to treat fecal body odor?

Question

Do I need antibiotics to treat fecal body odor?

I have fecal body odor after bowel movements. My bowel movements are occuring 1-2 times a day. So going is not the problem it's the smell thereafter. I am taking a probotics from the Vitamin Shoppe called " Primal Defense " however will i need antibiotics to treat this?

Answer

Although feces always smells bad, there are of course conditions in which fecal matter can smell much worse. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician soon. Conditions that affect the small intestines ability to absorb facts can cause the stools to become very greasy and extremely smelly. It is very unusual for somebody to keep the smell of feces on their body after a bowel movement assuming that they clean themselves adequately afterwards. I suppose that a very bad rectal cysts or abscess could cause continued smell of fecal matter after having a bowel movement. However, these things would also cause considerable pain in that area. If you are having pain in that area and you want to make sure that there is nothing wrong, then you probably need a rectal exam by your primary care physician. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment soon. If nothing abnormal is found, then there is likely nothing that can be done. Generally speaking, antibiotics will not help the situation and neither will probiotics, but please discuss with your doctor.