Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a small bump on the roof of my mouth, the same color as the rest of my mouth. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a small bump on the roof of my mouth, the same color as the rest of my mouth. What could it be?


Hurts, small, front right on hard palate


Sorry to hear about this bump. It is hard to say exactly what this could be, but it does sound like something that should be evaluated, at least by your primary care doctor. While these are often simple spots that have ready explanations, there are some cases of this sort of thing that can be a sign of something more serious that needs immediate attention. Your primary care doctor is likely a good reference to start with, as he or she will be able to triage the bump and give you some ideas about what this may be. Ultimately, and ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT or otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon) is probably the best person to definitively diagnose this condition. This is because of the many years of training specifically for this one region of the body, and the experience that this provides. Your doctor may therefore feel that a referral to a specialist is appropriate. If this is something concerning, it may be necessary to examine this more closely, perhaps under a microscope. Your doctor should be able to help you with this problem, so please discuss it with your doctor soon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.