ZocdocAnswersFor months I've been getting adequate sleep however I can't stop sleeping. What could it be?

Question

For months I've been getting adequate sleep however I can't stop sleeping. What could it be?

When I wake up in the mornings, I don't feel well rested. If I do something (ex. Grocery shopping, go out to a movie, etc.) the first thing I have to do when I come home is take at least an hour nap. I've recently started getting headaches along with the fatigue especially after I wake up from a nap. I'm young and not overweight. I eat a balanced diet and take a multivitamin. Please help...

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your problem. Chronic fatigue, a lack of restorative sleep, or just overall tiredness can stem from many different causes, so it is important to speak with your doctor. Your specific reason for why you are suffering will depend on answers that you provide to many different questions to help narrow down what could be causing this. For example, one of the more common causes of poor sleep that leaves people feeling exhausted on awakening is obstructive sleep apnea. This is more common in those who are overweight or obese, and can sometimes be associated with a large neck and in those who snore. If any of those things describe you or your situation, it may be worth speaking with your doctor to undergo a sleep study so that you can determine if sleep apnea is part of your problem. For other people, the cause may be more difficult to pin down. Most chronic or acute medical conditions require some increased energy expenditure on the part of your body in order to maintain the status quo. This can leave people feeling drained on a regular basis. Regardless of what may be causing your symptoms, the first step towards improvement is for you to please speak with your doctor.