ZocdocAnswersI have a fever of 103.8 degrees after working out in the gym. What could it be?

Question

I have a fever of 103.8 degrees after working out in the gym. What could it be?

Hello , i am a 16 year old girl 5'2 115 pounds i was at the gym yesterday and when I got home after I fell really ill and i believe i have a fever my temperature is 103.8 degrees, and I want to know is that normal. My head hurts, and i feel very weak. I went to the beach the day before the gym , I went in the water but it was not over my head . It was a little over my shoulders at best. Do you know if it's a fever or something else?

Answer

You definitely have a fever if your temperature is 103.8 and I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. While it is possible for you to elevate your body temperature with extreme exercise and/or spending time in a hot environment, it would be very unusual for your body's regulatory system to get so out of whack for you to raise your body temperature that high. I think that it is much more likely that your elevated by temperature is due to some sort of an infection or something else going on with the body's immune system. Most people to develop the body temperature that high have some sort of bacterial infection brewing. For example if you have a sore throat perhaps this is strep. If you have a bad cough or perhaps some chest pain, perhaps this pneumonia. If you have burning with urination, then maybe this is a urinary tract infection. It is possible for this to be a viral infection, though a fever that high is a bit unusual. If nothing infectious is found on any of your doctor's workups, then you will need to have a workout for other reasons why people have fevers. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You should have a simple infectious workup and if negative you will need some blood work to look for any other cause of these symptoms.