ZocdocAnswersI have unexplained small bruises on my arms and legs, should I contact a doctor?

Question

I have unexplained small bruises on my arms and legs, should I contact a doctor?

I do not bruise easily therefore these small bruises are starting to worry me. This has never happened before and i have not changed my diet or anything like that. The bruises do not hurt they are just random there. I have not bumped into anything or had anything unusual happen.

Answer

Thank you for your question. There are a few key pieces of information that your doctor will be able to gather from you in a discussion, and also a few pieces of information that can be gathered via a physical exam. First, the location of the bruises is important. If the bruises are on the front of the arms and legs (ie, the part that is most likely to be bruised as it is more likely to sustain trauma), then it may be more likely that there have been some minor incidents of trauma that you do not fully recall. Regardless, however, if you do not bruise easily and have noted a change, then it is important to speak with your doctor about what could be different. One simple explanation could be if you have started any new medications such as aspirin or other blood thinners. This sort of thing would or could leave you more prone to bleeding and bruising. There are other medications and even some supplements such as fish oil and vitamin E that can predispose to early bruising. Additionally, there are some other problems that could potentially cause easy bruising, and your doctor will be able to help. Please speak with your doctor.