ZocdocAnswersWhat may cause spotting after sex?

Question

What may cause spotting after sex?

I'm a very active individual and haven't had a period in over a year however recently after sex I've noticed very small amounts of blood. It's not enough to even get in my undergarments but I still notice it when I wipe that region.

Answer

Bleeding after intercourse is common if you don't use enough lubricant to reduce the friction, however it is important to consult with a primary care doctor or OBGYN. Your cervix is usually the source of bleeding brought on by vaginal sex. However, bleeding days after intercourse or recurring bleeding may indicate a more serious condition that you need to be evaluated by a doctor, and in most cases, if promptly diagnosed it is treatable cervical changes. Do you have other symptoms? Two common sexually transmitted diseases that can cause vaginal bleeding after intercourse are chlamydia or gonorrhea if the bleeding is accompanied by other symptoms such as vaginal discharge, irritation or a burning sensation when urinating. Vaginitis, or inflammation of the vagina, may also cause light bleeding, worsening after intercourse. Cervicitis is an inflammation of the cervix that is often accompanied by smelly, yellow or gray discharge is also the source of intercourse bleeding. Other causes are pelvic inflammatory disease and endometriosis. It is important to treat these conditions early. Delaying treatments may cause infertility. Other rare but possible causes include cervical dysplasia, uterine or cervical polyps, uterine fibroids, and tumors on the reproductive organs. There are a number of possible causes. Please consult with a primary care physician or OBGYN if you have recurrent bleeding to determine the exact nature of your condition and to be treated as soon as possible.