ZocdocAnswersCan I still ovulate at 7 weeks pregnant?

Question

Can I still ovulate at 7 weeks pregnant?

I just had my first ultrasound and they said I was ovulating on the right side

Answer

After you have become pregnant you are unable to ovulate anymore. Hormones that are secreted during pregnancy prevent further ovulation from occurring. They do this by inhibiting the release of gonadotropins (LH and FSH) from the anterior pituitary in the brain. If you are able to ovulate while you're pregnant, then might be possible to achieve a second pregnancy that was due at a different date. Of course this doesn't happen because you can not ovulate for your pregnant. What your doctor probably meant is that they could see the corpus luteum in your right ovary. The corpus luteum is the leftover tissue that is responsible for secreting progesterone during pregnancy which helps maintain the uterine lining. The tissue is left over from the follicle that contains the ovum that you ovulate. So what they probably meant was that they could see the corpus luteum and thus could tell that you had ovulated from the right side to achieve this pregnancy. Anytime you have questions about your pregnancy, you should always schedule an appointment with her OB/GYN. The two of you can discuss any concerns you have such as what medications you can take while pregnant and what supplements are needed. Good luck with your new baby.