ZocdocAnswersI found 8-10 moles in my anal area. Should I go to the gynecologist?

Question

I found 8-10 moles in my anal area. Should I go to the gynecologist?

I found out that I've got 8-10 small flat brown moles around my anal area. And also my vag itches and smells a little.The discharge is sometimes clear but other times white or yellowish. It itches around vaginal opening and labia minora, there's not really an opening, a small one (I'm a virgin), and a little around labia majora. I'm not sexually active, but sometimes I masturbate.(I don't put anything inside, just fingers near clit). I wash myself 1-2 times a day, sometimes I use ph neutral shampoo. Must I use it every day? I think that it's really sensitive down there and washing too often with shampoo is bad. Am I right? I'm 18 years old and I've never been to a gynecologist. I think it's time to go soon but my mom has never proposed to take me or says something about it (even in this situation). But I've read that I gotta go before I turn 21. What should I do? Thank you for your time :)

Answer

You have asked two questions. Let us discuss about the moles first. If they are new moles it is very important that you monitor them for any changes in color, shape, size and border over time that may make them abnormal, because some skin cancer starts as irregular moles. Moles that are of great medical concern have asymmetrical shape where they do not look the same on both sides. Their borders are edges are irregular and even. They have many colors mostly in the shades of tan, brown and black but can include white and red ones. Most skin cancer can be cured if it is found at its earliest stage. I recommend consulting a dermatologist for any suspicious new moles. From your description of your symptoms, it sounds like you have a common vaginal infection known as bacterial vaginosis. Its most common sign is a "fishy" vaginal discharge that may look grayish, white or yellow. Less common symptoms are burning sensation during urination and itching around the outside of the vagina. Excessive washing is not a solution. It actually does more harm than is beneficial. Such rigorous cleaning of the genital area with a lot of shampoo and soap may alter the normal balance of vaginal bacteria to give rise to more infections which the fishy vaginal smell does not go away. To simply use a very small amount of mild, unscented soap and a lot of water during regular baths or showers is sufficient. Of course, there are some other vaginal infections that may also cause a foul-smelling odor, itching and discharge. They include yeast infection, pelvic inflammatory disease, inflammation due to irritating substances such as soaps or detergents, and smoking. I recommend you consult with a gynecologist to determine a cause and arrange treatment accordingly.