ZocdocAnswersCould I have menorrhagia?

Question

Could I have menorrhagia?

I have looked up many of the symptoms and I fit many of them but my doctor wont look into it.

Answer

The definition of menorrhagia is abnormally heavy bleeding occurring in the normal time when you would get your period. I would suggest that you schedule appointment with your OB/GYN. Menorrhagia is not a condition itself, it is a sign of other conditions. While the definition of menorrhagia is increased menstrual bleeding, we do not have a very great way of saying this is not menorrhagia and this is normal. In general, if a woman describes changing a tampon multiple times per day for more than five days, we will call this menorrhagia. In addition, if the bleeding results in significant iron deficiency and anemia, we will generally called his menorrhagia if there is no other possible cause for the anemia. There are many causes of menorrhagia, but probably the most common causes uterine fibroids. These are small growths inside the uterus that are benign, but can cause increased bleeding. Other conditions such as adenomyosis and endometrial polyps are also possible causes of this condition. I do think you should have your situation looked into. Again, I would suggest that you schedule appointment with your OB/GYN for further testing and treatment if needed. Your doctor will likely want to know how often you are changing your tampons or pads, so you should bring that information with you.