ZocdocAnswersIf me and my boyfriend both are being treated for an STD, is it safe to use a condom?

Question

If me and my boyfriend both are being treated for an STD, is it safe to use a condom?

Should we wait till the treatment is over

Answer

That is an excellent question, and unfortunately, due to the minimal information given in the history, one that is best answered by your primary care doctor. In general terms, if used appropriately, you should be safe to have sexual intercourse while using a condom, as long as it is used every time. However, it is important to first discuss this with your primary care doctor. It also is very important that you use a condom every time if you are going to engage in sexual activity because if you do not, you can continue to transmit the STD to one another and then you will not be fully treated for it. This can lead to some serious complications depending on which STD you have, and so it is very important that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. Another concerning factor is that both you and your boyfriend have an STD, which might suggest that you were not practicing safe sex. It is very important that you do use a condom and perhaps even consider another form of birth control to avoid STDs and unwanted pregnancy. Your primary care doctor will be best able to discuss these options with you and decide upon the appropriate treatment plan. If you choose to wait until treatment was over, that would also be another reasonable option.