ZocdocAnswersIs it ok to have nicotine while on cephlaxin?

Question

Is it ok to have nicotine while on cephlaxin?

I am taking cephlaxin for a skin infection right now. I was wondering if it is okay to have nicotine while on it for the next week or so. I do not smoke real cigarettes but electronic ones so it's just water vapor, nicotine and Propylene glycol.

Answer

Whenever you have a question about the interaction of two medications you're taking, you should always contact your primary care doctor or whoever prescribed to that medication. Medication interactions are common and can be threatening to your health. The antibiotic cephalexin (also known as Keflex) is used to treat skin infections that are not severe. To my knowledge, in general there is no interaction between Keflex and nicotine that would prevent you or cause the need for you to avoid nicotine during this period. In fact, there really isn't any drug interaction that I can think of that nicotine causes. The most significant problem I can see in your case is the negative effects of nicotine on the body that are completely unrelated to your skin infection or the use of Keflex to treat the skin infection. The use of nicotine, even when it's used in electronic cigarette, still has negative effects on the body including increasing the blood pressure, and increasing the risk of heart disease. I will concede that smoking electronic cigarettes is definitely better than regular cigarettes because you avoid the carcinogens that cause lung cancer and prevent that risk. It also probably prevents the risk of emphysema that usually accompanies smoking cigarettes. Again, whenever you have a question about the interaction of two medications you're taking, you should always contact your primary care doctor or whoever prescribed to that medication. I hope the Keflex cleared up your infection.