ZocdocAnswersMy prolactine level is 29.87 and I am 8 weeks pregnant. Do I need to worry about the high level?

Question

My prolactine level is 29.87 and I am 8 weeks pregnant. Do I need to worry about the high level?

this is my second pregnancy and during the first pregnancy i had a breast absess problem does this high level indicated now in my second pregnancy have any connection with the problem i faced in my first one

Answer

First of all, congratulations on being pregnant! I hope that everything so far is going well with the pregnancy. The best thing to do is to discuss this result with the doctor who ordered the test. In order to answer your question, I would want to know why, exactly, prolactin levels were being checked in the first place. In terms of medical illnesses, there are a couple of conditions that elevate prolactin levels, the most serious being a cyst in the pituitary gland called a prolactinoma. Levels of prolactin are often measured to help monitor the growth of a prolactinoma. Additionally, prolactin levels may be measured during a pregnancy if there is a history of recurrent miscarriage, as there is an association between miscarriage and high prolactin levels early in pregnancy. All of that aside, the level of prolactin that you are reporting is actually normal for pregnancy and is also on the lower side for what might be associated with a risk for recurrent miscarriage. Therefore, without knowing any more specifics about your case, I can't comment on what additional followup might be needed. I would suggest talking about this in more detail with your OB GYN doctor - or whichever doctor ordered the test - to see if additional treatment, followup, or workup is needed. Best of luck!