ZocdocAnswersWhat is a lump that is purple near my vagina lips?

Question

What is a lump that is purple near my vagina lips?

When i squeezed it blood came out . What does that mean ? Is it herpes?

Answer

It is hard to know exactly what this lump near your vagina might be without having it looked at by a doctor. Therefore, I'd recommend that you make an appointment to see your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience, especially if the lump doesn't clear up. Herpes is always a consideration whenever there is a spot near the genitals. However, the typical herpes lesion is a small, round blister that is very red near the base. The herpes blisters tend to be quite painful as well, often with a burning sensation. Another possibility would be a superficial skin infection, such as a boil, or an infected hair shaft or ingrown hair. All of these problems could lead to an area of swelling (a "lump"). If you were to squeeze one of these hard enough, a small amount of blood might come out. The treatments for these different conditions are all distinct, which is part of why a trip to the doctor is important. Many herpes infections don't require treatment, although antiviral medications may speed healing. Superficial skin infections sometimes only require warm compresses and good skin care, but more stubborn infections may require antibiotics. Talk to your doctor!