ZocdocAnswersCan a kidney stone cause stomach problems, i.e., nausea, constipation, gas?

Question

Can a kidney stone cause stomach problems, i.e., nausea, constipation, gas?

I have been having ongoing stomach issues, mainly excessive gas, constipation, and nausea, for 2 months. Blood tests were negative for infection and CT Scan didn't show problems internally, except that I have a kidney stone. Could the kidney stone be responsible for my stomach issues or do stones only affect bladder/urinary tract?

Answer

The typical symptoms of kidney stones include abdominal pain often on the right or left flank that radiates into the groin. The pain can be quite severe, and thus can be associated with nausea and vomiting. I would not say that any stones are typically associated with excess gas, constipation, or "stomach issues" per se. The other factor is where these kidney stones were located. If your kidney stones are located in the renal pelvis and not in the ureter, then it is likely that these stones are currently asymptomatic. Usually these stones do not develop symptoms until they have moved into the ureter. When they do, you will know. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a urologist for further evaluation and assessment of your kidney stones. The urologist can look at your scans and see if anything needs to be done about your stones now or in the future. In addition, you can be placed on medications, be given information on dietary changes, and fluid intake that can all help to reduce the likelihood of developing future stones. Finally, it might not be a bad idea for you to schedule an appointment with the gastroenterologist for the rest of abdominal symptoms that sound more GI related and kidney stone related.