ZocdocAnswersCould my headache be due to stress?

Question

Could my headache be due to stress?

Ive been experiencing a great deal of pain for about a month now i have a knot on the back of my h ead my dr says the muscles in my neck have curled. pain meds dont help. Yesturday I turned 50, which i have been very upset about happening, but today my head ache is starting to go away, i was wondering could I have had this headache due to my stress???

Answer

Certainly stress is a common cause of many ailments. While it can either cause or contribute to many symptoms, including some of those that you describe, it is impossible for me to say if stress is the cause of your problems. Instead, please discuss your question with your doctor. Headache can be caused by many different factors. Some of these are intrinsic to the brain itself, and may be incompletely understood by doctors. Some of these include migraines and cluster headaches, which have very defined patterns that allow doctors to diagnose them and recommend options for treatment. Migraines, for example, are often associated with nausea or vomiting, photophobia, and inability to function due to the pain. When a doctor recognizes that triad of symptoms in the absence of other findings, he or she can often be confident of steps to recommend for treatment. There are other causes of headache and the symptoms you describe as well. Often, pain from the musculature of the head and neck can contribute to some of this. If you have questions about the symptoms that you are experiencing, you should discuss them with your doctor, who may be able to offer assistance. Please speak with your doctor.