ZocdocAnswersIm having some radiating stomach pains around my belly button. What can it be?

Question

Im having some radiating stomach pains around my belly button. What can it be?

It happens every once in a while these past couple days but hurts a lot when I stand up or make a sudden movement I've also been feeling a little dizzy and some nausea is there as well.

Answer

Since this pain has been persistent for a few days and is accompanied by other symptoms, such as dizziness and nausea, I'd recommend seeking medical advice from your regular primary care doctor. They will be able to examine you and make sure there is nothing serious going on. Although unlikely, it is important to rule out a problem like appendicitis, which might require surgery and be very serious if left undiagnosed and uncorrected. If your doctor doesn't feel like something quite so serious is going on, they will still be able to help you consider the other common causes of pain in this location, which could include inflammation or irritation in the stomach (gastritis), constipation, or a minor intestinal infection (gastroenteritis). In women, pregnancy or a problem with the menstrual cycle might also cause these kinds of symptoms. Based on what they find, they will be able to make recommendations about what medications you might take to help relieve the symptoms. They'll also be able to tell you whether additional work-up is needed, such as laboratory tests on a blood sample or x-rays or an ultrasound. Call and make an appointment with your doctor today!