ZocdocAnswersWhat's the best way to manage a viral infection of the brain?

Question

What's the best way to manage a viral infection of the brain?

patient is quadriplegic.cannot move the lower extremities, can move the arms but weak

Answer

I am sorry to hear about this patient suffering such a severe illness. Unfortunately, there many different viruses that can affect the brain and the rest of the central nervous system, and there is not enough information in your question to provide accurate recommendations for this patient. I strongly suggest you schedule an appointment with an infectious disease specialist for this patient. The physician will need to fully review this patient's medical history and perform a thorough physical exam before making recommendations. Many viruses can cause devastating injury to the brain. Rabies can be passed to humans from certain animals. A series of vaccinations is necessary to prevent infection after an animal bite. However, once infection occurs, there is no treatment available, and patients will ultimately succumb to the disease. Patients with immune suppression, such as HIV, can develop progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy due to reactivation of the JC virus. Herpes simples virus can infect the central nervous system and cause an encephalopathy. Varicella zoster virus, which is the virus that causes shingles, can cause a disseminated infection leading to encephalopathy, diffuse rash, and abnormalities of essentially any organ system. Due to the multitude of viruses that could be causing this patient's illness, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an infectious disease expert.