ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to fall pregnant on seizure medications?

Question

Is it safe to fall pregnant on seizure medications?

I have epilepsy. And i take Keppra and lamictal. I was wondering if it would be safe to be able to fall pregnant with these medications???

Answer

This is an excellent question. The question of medications and pregnancy are very important because certain medications are known to cause damage to fetuses while others there is not enough information to make a recommendation. In most large epilepsy centers, there are epileptologists who specialize in women's health with respect to epilepsy and medications and so it is suggested that you visit one of these large centers and discuss this question at length with them. Both keppra and lamictal are considered class C medications, meaning that caution is advised but the benefits of the medication may outweigh the potential risks. Even though this is the case, it is advisable to be evaluated by a doctor as they may suggest some changes to your medication regimen based upon your epilepsy type. They can also give you other advice and treat you if and when you become pregnant with regards to medication management to keep you and your baby safe. Seizures that occur while pregnant can be very serious so if you are planning on getting pregnant at some point, it is advisable that you are followed by an epileptologist specializing in women's health so they can know your history and best treat you through your pregnancy.