ZocdocAnswersIf I take three vitamins a day am I taking too much?

Question

If I take three vitamins a day am I taking too much?

I am 21 and weigh 120, I take a woman's one a day, a b12 500mcg and a st. johns wort standardized extract herbal supplement 300MG every morning and want to make sure i am not doing any harm to my body.

Answer

Most likely, this combination of vitamins will not do significant harm to your body, but it is important to discuss it with your primary care physician. If I was to drop one of these, it would certainly be the St. John's wort which contains minimal if any health value. While no doctor can tell for sure whether or not these seemingly harmless supplements or vitamins or harmful, I am fairly confident that unless you have a medical condition for which these are warranted, they are not helping you either. Thus, my main concern is that you're probably wasting a lot of money. I certainly am fine with any patient wants to take a One-A-Day multivitamin as the vitamin concentrations in these preparations is usually small enough that you don't have to worry about vitamin toxicity. I usually encourage this also when somebody has a special diet such as a vegan diet. Some diets warrant additional vitamin supplementation especially vitamin B 12 in the case of the vegan diet. However if you eat a well-balanced diet, then really none of these are necessary and if you feel like it makes you feel better to take a multivitamin, you could certainly drop the St. John's wort and the vitamin B 12. I would suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You need to make sure that your primary care doctor knows about every supplement that you're taking. Good luck