ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a red bruise under my breast with puss coming out?

Question

Why do I have a red bruise under my breast with puss coming out?

why under my breast is bruised and puss is coming out . It hurts when I touch it is it a rising that burst?

Answer

Thank you for your question. Breast bruising, discoloration, and/or pus can be concerning. You should make an appointment with your doctor for further evaluation. Questions you should be prepared to answer include but are not limited to onset of your symptoms (e.g. when did you first notice the bruising and pus? When did you notice pain?), the duration of your symptoms, has the bruising and pus leakage changed since you first noticed it, is there any associated nipple drainage, have you had recent trauma to your breast, do you have a family history of breast cancer, if you have a family history of breast cancer, have those family members undergone genetic screening? You may have a breast abscess, a collection of pus that is formed by your body in an attempt to wall off and prevent the spread of infection. If you have surrounding redness or discoloration around the area where the pus is draining, you may also have cellulitis, an infection of the skin and soft tissue. If you have an abscess, you may require a procedure to ensure that the collection of pus is fully drained. If you have associated cellulitis, you may require antibiotics to ensure the infection is treated. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician. You should seek consultation with your physician for an appropriate diagnosis and management plan.