Can I assume my 2 year old is allergic to cashew from one incident?

My son was given cashew at his daycare and after eating he vomited and then took a nap and woke up with swollen eyes. On asking what he ate for the day. Cashew was the only thing out of the norm and he has never had cashew before. He ate almonds and peanuts before with no reaction.
This is always a concern for parents, as nut allergies can be very common. In some cases, these allergies can also be quite dangerous, with risks of complications that include hives, difficulty breathing, and anaphylaxis (a reaction to an allergy that can be life threatening). While parents seek to not be overly alarmist, they are rightly worried about what constitutes a warning sign of an allergy and what they should do thereafter. The concerns are heightened by the fact that the event and the feeding were not observed directly by yourself, and so you are relying on the information provided by the daycare center. For all of these reasons, it is important for you to speak with your doctor in more detail about this question. He or she will be able to ask more specific questions and direct you with respect to additional testing that can be conducted in a safe manner to confirm whether or not your son has a true allergy. He or she will also be able to determine if you need to see an allergist, which may be the best source to answer your question definitively. Please speak with your doctor about this question.

Nearby Allergists

Other Allergists