ZocdocAnswersIs a lipase level of 105 something to be concerned about?

Question

Is a lipase level of 105 something to be concerned about?

Have had upper right abdominal pain for 5 months. CT scan, HIDA Scan, and bloodwork all normal except for lipase level of 105.

Answer

The answer to your question depends on what the normal range is for the assay used to check your lipase level. Check the lab slip that contains your lipase level and see if this is above the upper limit of normal. The best thing to do is to discuss your results with a gastroenterologist. Most of the lipase assays that I am familiar with have an upper limit of normal that is less than 100. Under the assumption that this means that your lipase is high then you should be evaluated for pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a condition that causes inflammation of the pancreas and significant pain in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen along with symptoms of nausea, vomiting, and lack of appetite. The two most common causes of pancreatitis in the United States are gallstones and alcohol. Your normal HIDA scan seems to suggest that gallstones are probably not the case for you. If you are not a drinker, then alcohol is not the cause. In this case, you should be looked at for more unusual causes of pancreatitis. This will involve further diagnostic testing. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. This is the type of physician that is most equipped to perform the detailed workup needed in your case.