ZocdocAnswersWhy am I having two periods in one month?

Question

Why am I having two periods in one month?

I'm 45 and for the last three months I have had two periods every two weeks. I do have endometriosis as well as several other health issues: such as asthma, fibromyalgia and seizures. Is there a reason for concern? Should I talk to my doctor?

Answer

While normal periods vary in length and timing, having more than one period in the span of a month (more often than every 28 days also called menorrhagia) in some cases can be a cause for concern if it is recurrent. Any changes in your normal menstrual cycle should be discussed with your doctor to see about a possible cause. That being said, common causes for twice-a-month periods can be breakthrough bleeding, thyroid dysfunction, and hormone fluctuations usually experienced by women on birth control or at the beginning of perimenopause. Women entering perimenopause often have an imbalance of progesterone that upsets their cycles to cause their periods to last longer and be accompanied by very heavy bleeding. Blood tests may be done to assess your hormone levels. Endometriosis can also be responsible for your menorrhagia. Normal bleeding between periods is usually light. If you are bleeding heavily like a normal period in between periods, that's a good reason to see a doctor as soon as possible. Please be reassured that most irregular periods are benign and are usually caused by an underlying hormonal imbalance that is easily treated. Your doctor can put to rest any concerns that you may have. Your doctor may perform a pelvic exam, ultrasound and biopsy to rule out any rare uterine abnormality such as a cervical polyp or fibroid, he or she may prescribe birth control pills or other medications to normalize your cycle and get this excessive bleeding under control to prevent you from developing anemia.