Do I have occipital neuralgia?

I have 2 lumps or knots on the back of my head behind my ear. they started small and They showed up over night. they have grown bigger. they are often hard and some times have fluid around the lump. sometimes sore to touch.
I have to say that these symptoms do not sound very much like a occipital neuralgia to me, but I suggest you schedule an appointment with a neurologist to be examined. Occipital neuralgia is a condition where nerves near the back of his skull become irritated and cause a headache that starts off at the back of the head and sometimes moves over to the front of the head. In this way, occipital neuralgia often looks just like a tension headache. One of the key features of this type of headache is increased pain when someone presses on the back of your neck. This is because the occipital nerves that are irritated with occipital neuralgia become more irritated with pressure. The description of lumps that are somewhat sore do not sound much like neuralgia. The best treatment for occipital neuralgia is the use of injections into the back of the neck that column these nerves. In addition, physical therapy for the back of the head can also help as well. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a neurologist so that you can further discussion or symptoms and obtain a good physical exam to determine whether or not your neck findings have any significance. If you do develop headaches assert in the back of the head then I would think that the diagnosis of a single neuralgia is more likely. Good luck.

Other Neurologists