ZocdocAnswersHow can I cure acid reflux disease?

Question

How can I cure acid reflux disease?

i have severe acid reflux problem i guess. acidity . feel like something is filled at my upper stomach area . between lower ribs . it occurs frequently mostly at night . feel like as my juices come to the mouth . i drink alcohol not very much but i drink . for few years .

Answer

What you are experiencing is a very common problem and I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Acid reflux is something that many people have and we have good treatments for. The way you describe the symptoms as a filled feeling in your stomach that occurs mostly at night with the feeling of juices coming into your mouth is a very common way described the symptoms. The first step is to figure out what triggers the symptoms. Consumption of alcohol, caffeine, and chocolate along with spicy foods are common causes of acid reflux. If the symptoms can be controlled with just dietary modification than that is usually the preferred method. However most doctors will also prescribed a medication called a proton pump inhibitor. The most commonly prescribed medication is omeprazole. This is a medication that will inhibit your stomach from secreting acid. If your symptoms go away with the addition of a proton pump inhibitor then your doctor will be comfortable diagnosing you with acid reflux without further testing. If your symptoms do not go away with a proton pump inhibitor, then you will need additional testing to find out why you are having these symptoms. Because you are on nothing at this time, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician for further workup.