ZocdocAnswersI had a cyst rupture 6 months after cyst removal surgery, why would this happen?

Question

I had a cyst rupture 6 months after cyst removal surgery, why would this happen?

I had a epidermal cyst removed from my temple August of 2009. In March of 2010, I had another cyst removed from the same location and it was diagnosed as a cyst rupture. Why would this happen if the cyst was removed??

Answer

Thank you very much for your question. Sorry to hear that you have had multiple recurrences of your epidermal cyst. I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care physician or surgeon. As you may already know, an epidermal cyst is growth of epidermal tissue (the topmost layer of your skin) into the dermis (the bottom layer of your skin). These cysts can grow and fill with fluid and can be fairly common. Often these are a result of trauma or prior surgery but can also occur from blockage of pores. While these are generally benign, they can be painful, can become infected, or affect cosmesis and create patient discomfort. Surgical excision is often the treatment of choice. It is not uncommon for these cysts to recur. The best chance to prevent recurrence of the cyst after surgical removal is to ensure the entire capsule of the cyst was removed. However, even when the entire capsule has been removed, there is a small possibility that the cyst can recur. There is also a syndrome known as Gardner syndrome in which individuals can develop multiple epidermal cysts. This syndrome also has an association with colon cancer. You cannot receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician. As such, I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care physician or the surgeon who previously removed your cyst to further discuss your symptoms and concerns.