I have had right knee surgery, what is the popping sound?

When I walk my right knee makes a popping sound with every step
A popping sound within the knee can be one of several different types of things. If the popping sound that you are having is causing you significant pain then this might be a problem with your meniscus. A meniscal tear can often cause popping of the knee and also catching at some point during the process of bending the knee. If you are not having any catching of the knee, then a meniscal tear might not be what you have. A popping sound can also be the patella moving over top of the femoral bone. Again, the presence or absence of pain can be helpful in determining what is going on. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. An orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the knee will perform a detailed physical examine of the knee to determine if there is any instability or any pain with specific maneuvers. Often this is enough to for him or her to tell whether there is a meniscal tear or any instability of the knee. Some maneuvers can also tell if there's a problem with the patella. If the physical exam alone does not determine the cause of your popping, then your doctor may decide to order an MRI. Good luck.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Charles Matuszak
    Dr. Charles Matuszak MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    2047 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd
    West Palm Beach, FL 33409
  • Dr. Nikhil Verma
    Dr. Nikhil Verma MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1611 W Harrison St
    Chicago, IL 60612
  • Dr. David Garras
    Dr. David Garras MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1611 W Harrison St
    Chicago, IL 60612