ZocdocAnswersWhat are these flesh looking and colored things that I am getting out of my colon?

Question

What are these flesh looking and colored things that I am getting out of my colon?

I have hemorrhoids and they have kept me from being able to use the bathroom without help for almost a year now. I have trouble with constipation as well so to allow myself to use the bathroom easier and every day I have started to use my fingers to pull the stool out. I do this every day and sometimes a few times a day. I can no longer push it out on my own. So instead I just use my finger every day to pull it out. Sometimes I have to dig to get as much as I can out to stop from feeling so constipated. It's gross and I hate having to do it. But it keeps me from being constipated for weeks at a time and it doesn't hurt as much. But lately I have been getting these flesh looking things coming out from around just inside of my anus opening. They do not come out on their own with the stool. I feel them around in there and will pull them out and they look like pieces of skin almost but sometimes bloody. They are not hard and do not look or smell like stool. I don't know what it is.

Answer

It is very difficult to know what you are describing without saying them. You could certainly be removing some kind of tissue, either skin or mucosal from the colon, or it could represent pieces of stool. If there are growths within your anal or colon that you are removing, which could be warts, polyps, or skin tags, I would strongly recommend you see a doctor to figure out what might be going on. It also sounds like you have a significant problem with constipation that is substantially impacting your life. Constipation can usually be treatable with a variety of different laxatives, some of which can be bought over the counter and some of which are obtainable by prescription. I am not sure whether you have ever discussed your problem of constipation with a doctor, but I would also strongly recommend that you schedule an appointment. Your constipation may be a symptom of an underlying condition that could be better treated, and there are very likely many alternative therapies available to you for better symptom relief. Your current approach sounds inconvenient and uncomfortable, it puts you at risk for spreading infection, and it sounds like you may even be causing yourself harm. Please go speak to your primary care doctor about this as soon as possible.