ZocdocAnswersWhat are these small bumps on penis glans?

Question

What are these small bumps on penis glans?

For about a month now my penis head (glans) has been having some slight reddish bumps and after masturbation or frisky sex sometimes gets quite red and itches. The frenelum (I am uncircumsized) particularly gets itchy and the urethral meatus can be quite red as well. It is not like photos I have seen online of balanitis where there are huge red patches that look like they are going to bleed...just tiny little red bumps. Sometimes a bigger red patch will show up for a day or two but it's still pretty small, no bigger than a matchhead and not really raised much at all.

Answer

Since this has been going on for about a month without resolving completely, I would highly recommend going to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to examine the area and help you figure out exactly what is going on. One likely possibility is that this is a yeast infection. Yeast infections can occur in men, especially if they are uncircumcised, and they tend to cause small red spots, like you are describing, that are often quite itchy. In addition, I think that balanitis (inflammation and infection of the skin under the foreskin) is still also a possibility. Many cases of balanitis are a lot milder than the pictures you have seen on the internet, and it is also quite common in uncircumcised men, so I would not rule that out just yet until your doctor has taken a look. Finally, the possibility of a sexually transmitted infection, such as herpes, needs to be considered as well, although the spots produced by the herpes virus tend to blister or ulcerate and be quite a bit more painful than the ones you are describing. Call and make an appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience. They'll be able to give you a diagnosis and prescribe any necessary treatment.