ZocdocAnswersWill I ovulate after my first period being off Depo?

Question

Will I ovulate after my first period being off Depo?

Been a month and a half sence being off and im already on my first period will i ovulate after

Answer

This is an important question to discuss with your OB/GYN. After the Depo Provera shot has worn off (typically after its 3 month life span), your periods should return at some point soon after. Once you have a period, in theory, you should start a regular cycle right away. This means that roughly 14 days after the first day of your period you should ovulate, assuming that you have a regular cycle (which many women don't). If you had no issues with ovulation before you were on the shot, you should not have any issues after you stop it, assuming there isn't some new factor that's come into play. If you are concerned about whether or not you are ovulating, you can always go out and buy an ovulation detection kit at the drug store. These kits detect the hormone LH which increases in the body just before ovulation. Many women use these kits to time their intercourse when they desire pregnancy. If you are concerned about your cycle after stopping the shot, if you are having trouble getting pregnant, or if you think you might be pregnant, then I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. He or she will be able to help you with any of these issues. Good luck.