Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What medication without a prescription is available to treat broken blood vessel in the eye?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat medication without a prescription is available to treat broken blood vessel in the eye?


In 2010 and now, I have a broken blood vessel in my eye, and it was previously treated with Lotemax eyedrops. The cause has been and is heavy lifting. Is there a need for concern or to seek immediate medical attention? Please advice me on this matter. I'm worried. Thank you!


Thank you for your question regarding bleeding in your eye, which is known as subconjunctival hemorrhage. Subconjunctival hemorrhages can look particularly alarming. The conjunctiva covers the white parts of our eyes and also lines the inside of the eyelids. There are many tiny blood vessels underneath it that are fragile and can easily rupture and cause bleeding in the eye. This bleeding can be brought on by a variety of actions which cause increased pressure, such as sneezing, coughing, straining during a bowel movement, vomiting, or in your case, lifting a heavy object. One scenario might be waking up to see a subconjunctival hemorrhage after a night of heavy drinking and subsequent vomiting. Although it can look pretty scary, this bleeding is usually not treated and goes away on its own. You may have required Lotemax drops (a steroid) for associated inflammation, but uncomplicated subconjunctival hemorrhages do not usually require any treatment. You may be particularly prone to developing them if you have high blood pressure or are on a blood thinner such as coumadin or aspirin. I would speak with your ophthalmologist, as you may have bleeding in your eye for another reason such as trauma. You will want to have a full ophthalmic exam to make sure there is nothing else serious going on.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.