ZocdocAnswersWhat causes profuse sweating of the face, scalp, neck, upper back and chest?

Question

What causes profuse sweating of the face, scalp, neck, upper back and chest?

only symptoms is fatigue and sweating. It comes on suddenly and then goes away after a while. don't have to do any strenuous activities to start sweating.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with profuse sweating of your face, scalp, neck, back, and chest and that you are worried about what might be going on. I can give you some of my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by your primary care physician. That is because they will be able to take more of a history, and examine you, and also look into your medication history which may give more insight into what might be going on. There are many different medical problems that can lead to hyperhidrosis (which is the medical term for sweating a lot). The timing and associated symptoms with the sweating could be very pertinent. For instance, if the sweating is happening at night (i.e. night sweats) it may may your physician think of an infectious etiology like tuberculosis, or even a neoplastic process like lymphoma. There are some simple tests that can be done to see if either of these processes are going on. Hormonal imbalances (like a thyroid imbalance) can potentially cause sweating as well. Of course, sweating and fatigue are somewhat vague and non-specific symptoms, so the physician that you see will need to get more information to help narrow down the differential as to what might be the problem. I wish you all the best.