Could I have diabetes?

i have had gestational diabetes but was dietary controlled. Now my son is 18 months and for the past month I have been feeling tired and rundown. Is it possible that I have normal diabetes? I tested my blood this morning before I had anything to eat or drink and got the reading of 5.6.
Patients that have a history of gestational diabetes are at increased risk of developing diabetes outside of pregnancy. Thus, you should visit your doctor and be tested for diabetes at the very least yearly to track and see if there are any signs. Symptoms of diabetes does include fatigue, but having an 18 month old is also very tiring. Other symptoms include needing to urinate a lot and excessive hunger. The number 5.6 is not really a value that is meaningful for blood sugar. Normal blood sugar ranges from 65-100. If you have a fasting blood sugar greater than 126 on two different occasions this is diagnostic of diabetes. If you have one reading over 200, this is also diagnostic of diabetes. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. I would discuss when you last diabetes check was and make sure you have had one on the last year. Most physicians now use the hemoglobin a1c test to screen for diabetes. This test looks at your average blood sugar over the past 3 months. It is accurate assuming that you do not have any blood disorders. I test my patients over the age of 40 yearly or every other year depending on their risk of developing diabetes. Good luck.

Nearby Endocrinologists

Other Endocrinologists