ZocdocAnswersMy urine seems to be like a neon yellow - is this anything to be concerned about?

Question

My urine seems to be like a neon yellow - is this anything to be concerned about?

I don't seem to have any discomfort

Answer

There are many things which can affect the color of your urine. It is important to schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor who will do a complete history and physical and likely take a urine sample. The color and smell of your urine, as well as the frequency, can indicate a lot about what is going on with your body. A very common cause of neon yellow urine is if you are taking a multivitamin or supplement. B vitamins and carotene are known to cause urine to appear much brighter as they are filtered through your system. Sometimes certain foods and liquids can also influence the color of your urine. It is important to note if you feel you are going to the bathroom to urinate more frequently, if you have any hesitation with urination, if there is any blood present, if you have any leakage of urine, and if you have any lower abdominal or back pain as these can be signs and symptoms of various conditions such as a urinary tract infection. Again, it is important to make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and have your urine examined for the cause of the increase in coloration.