ZocdocAnswersWhat happens when your knees lock up when you are running?

Question

What happens when your knees lock up when you are running?

I'm 13 years old and I play 3 sports and I often run to get in shape but recently my knees just keep locking up and it feels like I can't bend them and it hurts really bad. I almost fell when I tried running today.

Answer

I would strongly suggest that you see your pediatrician for an examination. In the meantime, if you continue to have significant pain or a locking sensation in your knees, I would recommend refraining from sports and other significant physical activity until your pediatrician can make sure that there is nothing serious going on. There are many different causes of the kinds of symptoms you have been describing, which can range from mild overuse injury or strain in the knees up to serious damage to the ligments or tendons of the knee. The first step in figuring things out is a thorough examination of the knee by your doctor. Often your doctor will be able to tell what is going on by getting a better sense of where exactly in the knee the pain is located, as well as by looking for other physical findings such as swelling, or looseness of the ligaments. Occasionally, it is necessary to get additional testing, such as x-rays of the knee. When all of this has been done, your doctor will be able to tell you whether physical exercise is safe and what treatments you might need.